As a London based start-up, the SimplyCook team has witnessed the burger revolution first hand and we’ve had more than our fair share of the capitals top burgers!
Favourites differ across the team. Our chef loves the Piggie from Bar Boulud – a beef patty with bbq pulled pork, green chili mayonnaise, butterhead lettuce and red cabbage slaw in a cheddar bun. Hari (our CTO) loves the Five Guys bacon cheese burger… almost as much as this young man click here
So when we heard about the UK’s second annual national burger day we thought we’d put our many hours of painstaking research to use. We’ve collected tips from each of our favourite burger restaurants to come up with this simplified recipe that can be easily replicated at home.
The SimplyCook Burger, Enjoy!
To make 4 burgers you’ll need:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 800g chuck steak, minced (otherwise any non-lean mince)
- 4 brioche burger buns
- 4 thick slices of a good blue cheese (or cheddar if you prefer something more mild)
- A good dollop of Chipotle Aïoli (or Hinz Smokey & Spiced Chipotle & Garlic Sauce mixed with Mayonnaise )
- Optional: 8 slices of smoked back bacon
- Fry the onions until soft and slightly browned and leave to cool. If you fancy some bacon grill the bacon on both sides at high heat to your liking while the onion is cooling.
- Then, mix the onion with the mince, season very well with salt and pepper and divide into 4 burgers, 2 cm thick. Baste with olive oil and cook under a very hot grill for 3 minutes each side.
- While your burgers are grilling make as much sauce as you like by mixing some of that Heinz sauce through the mayo (or following this recipe for the Chipotle Aïoli). Taste as you go to make it as hot or mild as you want.
- Once your burgers are cooked on both sides, lob some cheese on top of each and grill until almost melting. Take off the heat and rest for a minute or 2.
- Toast the cut side of each burger bun for 30 seconds then smear both sides with a generous amount of sauce and press the patty into the burger with the optional bacon tucked in there tightly too.
Happy National Burger Day!
…and remember to share your burger stories, tips and photos with us