A classic Jambalaya can you up to an hour but at SimplyCook we don’t believe you should have to wait that long for amazing tasting food so we’ve come up with a super quick & easy recipe for Jambalaya to get you a great tasting dish in under 25mins.
Jambalaya has several influences from all over the world but is considered to be part of the Cajun Cuisine. When the Spanish went to the Caribbean they tried to make Paella without saffron and slowly the Jambalaya was born. It’s a mouthwatering meal that will make your kitchen smell like Louisiana, the home of Cajun cuisine.
In the SimplyCook Kit:
Cajun Seasoning – A specialist blend of nine tasty spices
Jambalaya Stock – Flavours of red pepper, tomato, oregano and paprika
What you need to add:
- 200g of diced chicken breast and/or prawns – whichever you fancy!
- 100g Chorizo, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 50g Celery, finely chopped
- 120g long grain rice
What you need to do:
- Coat your chicken and/or prawns in the Cajun Seasoning. Heat a large frying pan at high heat with 2 tbsp oil, then add your chicken/prawns and stir-fry ‘til the meat is golden and nearly cooked. Take out of the pan and set aside.
- Add the chorizo to the same pan and fry until crispy. Then add the Garlic Paste, onion, green pepper and celery to the chorizo stirring really quickly until all the veggies are coated in the garlic paste. Cook until soft. Put a kettle full of water on to boil while the veggies are cooking.
- Add the rice, 400ml of boiled water and the Jambalaya Stock to the chorizo mixture. Stir and simmer for 12 minutes, adding more water if needed.
- Add the chicken/prawns to the pan and simmer for a few more minutes before. Then plate up in two bowls and get stuck in!
Want to try our tasty Jambalaya recipe and three other super quick & tasty meals? Just click here to try your first SimplyCook box for £1 using the code TRIALOFFER at the checkout! (Usually £10 a month)